Microsoft 365 is the go-to productivity solution for many organisations with many under the impression that Microsoft provides fully fledged data protection for all Microsoft 365 applications that they rely upon. Microsoft operate Microsoft 365 with a shared responsibility model with the following gaps needing to addressed by the client with respect to Microsoft 365:
- Deletion: This is the most common cause of data loss in Microsoft 365 with users, files and email data needing to be covered should a file be deleted or corrupted.
- Retention policy: Data regulatory requirements can be confusing within the native retention policies possibly not meeting all data usage requirements.
- OneDrive: Whilst there are facilities like File Version History in Microsoft 365 to protect some data, the ability to recover to a known single point in time can be challenging across wider usage through certain data recovery tasks.
- SharePoint: The dynamic nature of shared storage and functionality of SharePoint demands the ability to recover a collection of data to a known state and at a granular level with this not handled natively by Microsoft.
- Teams: Teams allows users to create content and storage structures to meet changing operational requirements with data spread across OneDrive, SharePoint and eMail subject to how Teams is managed so requires a different data protection plan to manage this.
The reality is that while Microsoft provides infrastructure resilience, data protection remains the responsibility of the user. Without third-party backup, sensitive business data such as emails or shared files stored in Microsoft 365 are not protected from the most common or most serious data loss issues, such as accidental deletions, malware attacks and more.
Acronis Office 365 Backup protects all data stored in eMail, OneDrive, SharePoint and Teams with multiple point in time restore points that are managed to meet your organisations recovery needs. The service is installed in your Microsoft 365 tenant and protects all the data through a daily backup that offers unlimited data storage.
- If your organisation operates with a lot of users and a small volume of data, please look at the Acronis Volume Based backup product as it may be cheaper.
- This product needs to be purchased for each licensed Microsoft User account in your Microsoft 365 tenant.